HUD-Approved Mortgage Counseling

HUD-Approved Mortgage Counseling

Are you unable to make your mortgage payment? Did you get a delinquency notice in the mail? Are you unsure of what to do next? Good news: You can get free, personalized mortgage advice from counseling agencies certified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Before you look for a counselor, call your lender/loan servicer. 

No matter what you’ve heard, we do not want your house. We want you to stay in your home and make your payments, and we want to help you find a solution. Call us as soon as you know you can’t make a payment. 

Be ready when you call your loan servicer. 

Have your loan number on hand, along with your most recent income documents—including pay stubs and benefit statements from Social Security, disability, unemployment, etc. Are you self-employed? You’ll need your most recent tax return or a year-to-date profit/loss statement. Also, prepare a list of monthly household expenses, including debt payments. Be ready to explain your situation. We will work with you to identify possible solutions to help you avoid foreclosure. Respond quickly to our letters, emails, phone calls, and information requests. If we don’t hear from you, we may start legal action—which could lead to foreclosure. Finally, keep records of your calls and copies of every document you send us. 

Free, government-certified counselors are available nationwide. 

After you talk with us, why not talk with a free, government-certified mortgage counselor? HUD sponsors counseling agencies from coast to coast. Their counselors are specially trained to review your situation, find options, and make a plan to get the help you need. They can provide unbiased advice about past-due mortgages, managing money, buying a home, renting, and more. 

Find a counselor near you. 

This HUD website displays a national map; click on your state to see a list of counselors state-wide. With the list on-screen, use the narrow your search function to find a specific type of counseling (such as mortgage delinquency or loss mitigation). You can also find counselors by city or ZIP code. 

Special help with foreclosure. 

HUD has a foreclosure-specific website to help you find a certified Foreclosure Avoidance Counselor near you. These counselors are specially trained to help you understand the law, organize your finances, negotiate with your lender, and avoid foreclosure. They’re funded partly by HUD and NeighborWorks® America, and their services are free. 

No Internet? Call to find a counselor. 

If you don’t have Internet access, call HUD toll-free, 24/7, at 800-569-4287 (TTY: 202-708-1455). 

Counseling by phone is also available. 

If you prefer counseling by phone, call the toll-free HOPE Hotline of the Homeownership Preservation Foundation (HPF) at 888-995-HOPE (4673). You can also visit their website, 995Hope. HPF is an alliance of loan servicers, investors, lenders, and HUD-approved counselors. Through their partnership with GreenPath Financial Wellness, they provide a wide range of free, phone-based financial counseling services. 

Prepare to meet with your counselor. 

Like when you talked with us, have your financial records on hand before you meet with your counselor. You’ll need your: 

  • Most recent mortgage statements, including information about any second mortgage(s) 
  • List of monthly expenses, including all debt, loan, or credit card payments 
  • Income details, including pay stubs and benefit statements from Social Security, disability, etc. 
  • Most recent tax return or a year-to-date profit/loss statement (if you’re self-employed).